US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Express Card Review
The US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card is not among our highest rated rewards credit cards. You can check out our list of rewards credit cards for what we think are better options.
U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Full Card Review
TSA PreCheck or Global Entry
No foreign transaction fees
No introductory APR
No transfer partner
The benefits explained
- Free WIFI: The US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card also comes with a free Wi-Fi subscription to Boingo. This allows you to connect to Boingo hotspots anywhere in the world for free. This benefit must be accessible through American Express CONNECT.
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry: Depending on which program you first apply to, you may receive an automatic statement credit for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry. Membership is valid for five years and you can access the benefit through American Express CONNECT.
- No foreign transaction fees: You don’t have to worry about foreign transaction fees when traveling since this card does not charge such fees. It’s a way to go abroad without worrying about additional costs.
- Annual fees: There is an annual fee of $85. However, for what’s included with this card, it might be worth paying the annual fee, especially if you earn enough points to redeem for an award flight each year.
- No introductory APR: The US Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card does not have a 0% APR offer on balance transfers or purchases. If you want to move high-interest balances or want to save on purchases for a while, this card won’t help.
- No transfer partner: With the FlexPerks program, there are no transfer partners. So while you can redeem your points at various airlines and hotels, you cannot transfer your points to other rewards programs.
The US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card is ideal for those who love to travel and want to earn tiered rewards on select purchases. Since card members earn 3X FlexPoints at restaurants, this card can work well for those who like to dine out. Plus, members earn 2X points on airline purchases and at gas stations.
Travelers who plan to use this card when purchasing airline tickets and hoping to earn points faster by dining out can then turn around and redeem their points later for various rewards. Plus, with no foreign transaction fees, the card can be a good choice for use when traveling abroad.
Plus, this card can be useful for those who like extra perks like free Wi-Fi and access to perks like concierge, shopping, and experiences. This card grants access to American Express CONNECT which provides additional dining experiences and entertainment benefits, as well as other services. If you want a few extra perks for a reasonable annual fee, this card may be a good choice.
However, for those who prefer direct cashback, this card may not be the best choice. While it is possible to redeem for statement credit, other cards may offer cash back alternatives. The Capital One Savor card, for example, offers 4% cash back on dining and entertainment and 3% cash back on groceries. The annual membership fee is $95. This is a comparable card that offers slightly different reward potential.
US Bank FlexPerks® Gold Bonus American Express®
Receive 30,000 bonus FlexPoints when you spend $2,000 on qualifying purchases within the first four months of card membership. This bonus is worth $450 when redeemed for airline tickets, car rentals, hotels and other items.
The unique offer is reasonable compared to other cards. The Capital One Savor offers a cashback bonus of $300, but you have to spend $3,000 in the first three months. The Chase Sapphire Preferred card, which has an annual fee of $95, offers 80,000 bonus points, but you have to spend $4,000 in three months to get the bonus. And, while it’s worth more ($1,000 when redeemed for a trip), it’s harder to earn.
For the relatively low spend and the time you have to reach the threshold, the bonus offered by the US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® credit card is very reasonable.
Reward Earnings Details
Earn FlexPoints on a progressive basis:
- 5X points on prepaid hotels and car rentals booked through the FlexPerks Rewards Center
- 3X points for every dollar spent in restaurants
- 2X points for every dollar spent at airlines and gas stations
- 1X point for every dollar spent on other purchases
Reward Redemption Details
Rewards can be redeemed through the FlexPerks website for a number of different rewards. Some of the items included in the refund include:
- Travel (airfare, hotel, car rental)
- Gift cards
- Statement Credit
Rewards redeemed for trips are worth around 1.5 cents each. However, refund values may vary depending on what you get. Use the FlexPerks website to see what you’re getting in terms of cash values.
Transfer of points
No transfer partner is available with the US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card. This card does not earn Amex membership points. FlexPoints, although they can be redeemed for travel, cannot be transferred to other loyalty programs.
How to maximize your rewards
The best way to maximize your rewards with the US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Card is to use it to make purchases at restaurants for enhanced rewards earnings on dining. You can also maximize your rewards by earning 2X points on gas station and airline purchases. If you travel a lot or eat out a lot, this card can help you maximize your points.
Indeed, in 2020, the average consumer spent $2,375 on food outside the home. That’s 7,125 FlexPoints, or $106.87 in terms of travel redemptions. That’s more than enough to offset the annual fee. With other expenses added, it is possible to earn even more and further maximize your rewards.
When you use a credit card like US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express®, it can be a good idea to do most of your regular spending on the card to earn rewards. However, it is important to pay off the balance each month to avoid paying interest.
Outstanding Benefits of the US Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card
- Access to American Express CONNECT for dining, entertainment and shopping
- Concierge Service
- Retail Protection
- Reimbursement of identity theft expenses
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Car rental loss and damage insurance
- Travel accident insurance
- Lost Baggage Insurance
US Bank ranked tenth out of 11 national card issuers and scored below average in the 2021 JD Power US Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
It is also possible to access US Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express through the mobile application offered by US Bank. On Google Play, the app has a rating of 4.5 and in the Apple App Store, it has a rating of 4.8.
With the US Bank FlexPerks Gold American Express Card, you can expect $0 liability on fraudulent purchases. Additionally, the card comes with smart chip technology designed to be more secure.
The US Bank FlexPerks® Gold American Express® Credit Card can be a decent choice for someone who wants tiered rewards focused on travel and dining. The annual fee of $85 is reasonable for the benefits involved and consistent with other credit cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred which offers tiered rewards and comes with an annual fee of $95. The Capital One Savor One is another comparable option with no annual fee. Because there are no foreign transaction fees, this card can also work well for those who travel abroad frequently.
For those who don’t mind managing their FlexPerks and redeeming points for a variety of rewards, instead of getting direct cash back, this card may be a good choice.