PCGS Ranked in Top 8 of 10 Most Valuable U.S. Coins Sold in 2021
Professional coin-grading service claims 17 of the top 25 U.S. coins that crossed the auction block last year, including the most valuable coin ever sold
An incredible eight of the 10 most valuable United States coins that crossed the auction block last year were ranked by Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). Among these was the 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, a classic United States gold coin with only one specimen available for private ownership that broke all barriers as the most expensive coin ever to trade hands when it hammered for $18,872,250. A total of 17 of the 25 most valuable coins to sell in 2021 were rated by PCGS.
“It just goes to show that the best coins always end up in PCGS holders,” Says PCGS President Stephanie Sabin. “Year after year, the vast majority of the most valuable coins to hit the hammer at auction are held by PCGS. This speaks to the confidence collectors place in our consistent grading and our ability to provide the value, security and maximum liquidity for collector coins.
Here’s a look at the 25 best-selling US coins of 2021 and realized prices (including buyer’s fees):
- 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, PCGS MS65 – Sotheby’s, $18,872,250
- 1787 $15 Wing Punch Brasher Doubloon, MS65 – Heritage Auctions, $9,360,000
- 1822 Half Eagle Capped Bust, PCGS AU50 – Stack’s Bowers Galleries, $8,400,000
- 1804 Dollar Draped Bust, PCGS PR68 – Stack’s Bowers Galleries, $7,680,000
- 1861 Double Eagle Reverse Pack, PCGS MS67 – Heritage Auctions, $7,200,000
- 1794 Flowing Hair Dollar, PCGS MS66+ – Heritage Auctions, $6,600,000
- 1804 Eagle Draped Bust, PCGS PR65+DCAM – Heritage Auctions, $5,280,000
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, PR68 – Heritage Auctions, $3,600,000
- 1792 J-1 Silver Center Cent, PCGS SP67BN – Heritage Auctions, $2,520,000
- 1854-S Liberty Half-Eagle, PCGS XF45 – Heritage Auctions, $2,400,000
- 1885 Trade Dollar, PCGS PR63+CAM – Heritage Auctions, $2,100,000
- Brasher 1786 Lima Style Brasher Duplicate, MS61 – Heritage Auctions, $2,100,000
- 1893-S Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS67 – Major Collections, $2,086,875
- 1921 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle Satin Special Strike, PR64+ – Heritage Auctions, $2,010,000
- 1880 Coiled Hair Stella, PR67CAM – Heritage Auctions, $1,860,000
- 1797 Draped Bust Overton-101A Half Dollar, PCGS MS66 – Stack’s Bowers Galleries, $1,680,000
- 1870-CC Liberty Head Double Eagle, PCGS AU53 – Heritage Auctions, $1,620,000
- 1796 Quarter Draped Bust Eagle Stars, PCGS MS65 – Heritage Auctions, $1,380,000
- 1792 25 Cent J-13, AU58 – Heritage Auctions, $1,260,000
- 1776 Continental Dollar “COIN” Silver, VF35 – Heritage Auctions, $1,140,000
- 1866 Liberty Seated Dollar Without Currency, PCGS PR63+ – Heritage Auctions, $1,050,000
- 1794 Overton 101A Half Dollar Fluid Hair, PCGS MS64+ – Heritage Auctions, $870,000
- 1794 Dollar with flowing hair, AU58 – Stack’s Bowers Galleries, $840,000
- 1794 Floating Hair Dollar J-18, VF25 – Heritage Auctions, $840,000
- 1943-D Bronze Lincoln Cent, PCGS MS64BN – Heritage Auctions, $840,000
PCGS also gives an honorable mention to an atypical piece that the company has graduated and which has been sold at auction for a staggering sum, the 2011 25BTC Casascius Bitcoin. This new exonumia coin serves as a physical representation of 25 Bitcoins and has been graded PCGS MS67. It sold for $1,698,750 in a LargeCollections to sell. It’s worth noting that an astonishing 22 U.S. coins passed the $1 million mark in 2021 among the auction houses consulted for this year-end price roundup, confirming the strength of the parts market in 2021 despite a gyrating and persistent economy. pandemic conditions.
For more information and images covering all of 2021’s best-selling pieces, visit www.pcgs.com/top-selling-coins-2021. You can also view the all-time best-selling PCGS parts at www.pcgs.com/top-selling-coins-of-all-time.
* * *
About Professional Coin Grading Service
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) is a third-party coin and banknote grading company that was started in 1986. In 35 years, PCGS has examined and certified over 48 million U.S. and world coins, medals, and tokens with a combined value of more than $47 billion. For more information on PCGS products and services, including how to submit your coins for authentication and grading, please visit www.PCGS.com or call PCGS Customer Service at (800) 447-8848.