GreatCollections to Offer Catskill Collection of Rare American Coins
GreatCollections is pleased to announce the Catskill Collection of American Coins, the most valuable unique collection ever entrusted to our company.
The collection comprises only 240 certified pieces classified by PCGS and NGC and includes many major rarities, such as a 1792 Half Dime, 1794 Silver Dollar, $ 4 Gold Stella and one of the best high relief Saint-Gaudens of 1907.
All pieces are offered without reservation in the GreatCollections June and July auctions. The total value, as reported by PCGS and NGC, exceeds $ 6 million.
The owner of the Catskill collection has purchased most of the pieces from private dealers over the past decade and has focused on quality, history and rarity. Outside of the many key dates, there are coins rarely offered in any quality, such as the Rare Territorial Emissions, Patterns, and Proof Gold. Quite a few pieces have been CAC approved, including most of the rarities.
Ian Russell, President of GreatCollections, said:
âWhat a privilege to manipulate these pieces – there are pieces in this collection that we would love to see once every five years, but here they are, all at once. We have already received a record number of inquiries about this impressive collection. “
One of the most popular coins in the collection is the 1794 Silver Dollar, rated VF-30 by PCGS. The coin‘s pedigree dates back to the 19th century, when it was acquired by S. Benton Emery, a New England banker who was a member of ANA # 251. It was most recently in the collection of the late Jack Lee. , an eminent collector and specialist of the silver dollar. The coin is expected to fetch over $ 150,000.
Another highlight is the 1879 Four-Dollar Flowing Hair Stella, rated PCGS Proof-65 CAMEO with CAC approval. This coin was last traded in 2015 when it sold for $ 205,625 at the ANA World’s Fair of Money held in Chicago.
Among the pieces in the Catskill collection, a Liberty Double Eagle from 1896 stands out. From an original mintage of 128 pieces, this copy has been rated NGC Proof-64 + Ultra Cameo, with CAC approval.
With only two finer grades at PCGS, the 1907 High Relief Saint-Gaudens, grade MS-67 with CAC approval is clearly the best we have processed. The popular show is as close to perfect as you can imagine and is valued at over $ 200,000.
Some of the highlights of the Catskill collection include:
- 1787 Massachusetts Copper (Official) Half Cent PCGS MS-66 BN
- 1787 Massachusetts Copper (Official) One Hundred Arrows in Left Talon PCGS MS-65 RB (Essex Institute)
- Rhode Island Ship Token Crown Below, Brass PCGS MS-64
- Bar Cent PCGS MS-64 BN (Steinberg)
- $ 1776 1 Continental Coin COIN, Pewter PCGS MS-60 (CAC Gold Label) OGH
- 1776 Continental Coin COIN, Pewter PCGS AU-55 CAC
- 1856 Flying Eagle Cent PCGS Proof-65 CAC (Eagle Eye Seal)
- 1922-No D Lincoln Cent Strong Reverse PCGS MS-64 BN CAC
- 1955 Lincoln Cent Double Coin Obverse PCGS MS-64 RD
- 1792 Fluid Hair Half Dime PCGS AU-50
- 1796 Quarter Draped Bust PCGS XF-45
- 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter PCGS MS-64 FH CAC
- 1794 Fluid Hair Silver Dollar PCGS VF-30
- 1836 Gobrecht Silver Dollar Original, Alignment of the PCGS Proof-64 Medal (Tonic)
- 1879-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-65
- 1889-CC Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS-62 (California Collection)
- 1895 Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS Proof-67 CAMEO CAC (Tonic)
- 1796 Straight Headed Bust Gold Quarter Eagle No Stars PCGS AU-55
- 1879 Stella PCGS Proof-65 Four Dollar Floating Hair Gold Coin CAMEO CAC
- 1799 Golden Eagle Headdress Bust Small Stars Obverse PCGS AU-55 CAC
- 1871 Liberty Gold Eagle PCGS Proof-64 DCAM
- 1907 Indian Gold Eagle Rolled Edge PCGS AU-55 CAC
- Indian motto of the 1908 Golden Eagle. Matte finish PCGS Proof-66 CAC
- 1857-S Liberty Gold Double Eagle 20B Bold S Shipwreck SS Central America PCGS MS-66 CAC (Gold Foil Label)
- 1906 Liberty Gold Double Eagle PCGS MS-66
- 1907 Saint-Gaudens Or Double Aigle MCMVII. High relief, flat edge PCGS MS-67 CAC
- 1900 Dollar Lafayette PCGS MS-66 + CAC (Tonic)
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $ 50 Gold, Round PCGS MS-64 CAC
- 1915-S Panama-Pacific Exposition $ 50 in gold, octagonal PCGS MS-64 CAC
- 1849 Oregon Exchange Company Gold $ 5 Beaver Design PCGS XF-40
- $ 1,849 5 Mormon PCGS AU-50 CAC Gold
- 1851 California Gold $ 50 – US Assay Office / Humbert Humbert 887 50 Reverse PCGS AU-50 CAC OGH
- 1860 Colorado Gold $ 10 Clark Gruber & Co. Pike’s Peak PCGS AU-58
- Model 1836 Gobrecht Silver Dollar J-60 Restrike PCGS Proof-64 CAC
- Model 1838 Gobrecht Silver Dollar J-84 Restrike PCGS Proof-63 CAC (OGH Retro Label)
All rooms are available for a private viewing by appointment and expert advice is available by phone or email. For more information on the Catskill Collection and GreatCollections, please visit www.greatcollections.com or call 1-800-442-6467.
For a free and confidential evaluation of your coin collection, visit www.greatcollections.com/selling or call Ian Russell, Andy Wedding or Juliann Gim at 1-800-442-6467.
GreatCollections is an auction house for Certified Coins and Paper Money, as well as CAC Approved Coins, handling start to finish coin / banknote transactions.
For sellers, GreatCollections offers professional imagery for each coin / note, cash advances where applicable, extensive marketing, and other one-on-one services generally not available with other auction houses and websites, freeing up the seller to do nothing other than collect the proceeds of the sale.
Buyers benefit by entrusting a venue whose managers have years of numismatic experience and whose reputation in the industry is impeccable.