Find out the market value of US coins
In many ways, determining the value of a coin or collection of coins can be an overwhelming task. Where to start ?
You may want to sell a coin or a collection of coins, but how do you know the real value in today’s market? Maybe you are considering investing in coins and want to buy them at fair prices and make sure they are not counterfeit.
This course shows how to determine the market value of US coins in five easy to follow steps. To be clear, this course does not offer investment advice but rather teaches you how to determine the market value of a coin. With course resources and step-by-step guidance, you’ll be able to determine the market value of almost any US coin in less than 15 minutes!
In this course, I share examples of what it costs to not know the value of a coin. Not knowing the market value of a coin can be a mistake that costs hundreds of dollars one piece.
Here are practical examples of two pieces covered in the course:
1873-S Double Eagle $20 Gold Coin
Let’s jump right into the market values of these two coins and consider what we’ll learn along the way.
By following the course’s easy-to-follow 5-step process, we learn that the market value range for the 1873-S Double Eagle the coin is US$1,325-$1,950. The value of the coin, as we will see in the course, is based on a number of factors, including the gold bullion content of the coin (which is 0.9675 oz, as shown in one of the numerous course reference tables); an AU-55 rating (coin notation is explained in the course); the current value of gold (gold prices change daily; the price is tied to the current price); positive and negative attributes; and current market conditions.
The final two steps explained in the course are to compare the coin(s) of interest to similar coins that have sold recently and to review your options for where to sell (or buy) in the current market.
1799 Silver Dollar Draped Bust
Top tips and ideas to give you the edge
The course starts with the basics to make sure nothing is missed along the way. The type of coin is identified according to the date and the denomination (that’s to say., quarter, dollar, dime, three cent piece, half gold eagle, etc.). In fact, there are tables that clearly identify the type of coin from the present until 1793. The mintmarks are explained and clear instructions are given for finding the mintmark on every US coin. The bullion content (silver and gold) is given for each coin in order to quickly calculate the “melting value” (also explained in the course).
The Coin Course has seven modules:
- Module 1: How to identify parts
- Module 2: Understanding the gold and silver content of each coin
- Module 3: Ranking – How to Determine Room Condition
- Module 4: Determining the value of the coin
- Module 5: Understanding the Parts Market to Maximize Value
- Module 6: How to Use the Coin Value Spreadsheet Tool
- Module 7: The interactive guide
The 5-step worksheet is included to guide you to the value of each coin. A value spreadsheet tool (created for The Coin Course in Excel) is also included to track bullion value as silver and gold prices change daily. Plus, the course compares options to help you get the best prices whether you’re selling or buying.
After watching the promotional video and Module 1 for free, you can decide whether you want to purchase the full seven-module course or one of the separate module packages listed below. Package descriptions and links are below:
THE COMPLETE SEVEN MODULE COURSE: $39 ($10 savings compared to purchasing the separate module packages below) Link to full course
FOUNDATIONS STARTER PACK: $8 Link to Foundations starter pack
- – Module 1: How to identify US coins
- – Module 2: Understanding the gold and silver content of US coins
COIN CLASS MODULE: $8 Link to Module 3: Parts Classification
- – Module 3: Classification – How to determine the condition of a room
DETERMINING COIN VALUE ON TODAY’S MARKET: $8 Link to modules 4 and 5
- – Module 4: Determining the value of the coin
- – Module 5: Understanding the coin market to maximize value
COIN VALUE WORKSHEET: $8 Link to Module 6: Coin Value Calculator
- – Module 6: How to use the coin value spreadsheet tool
THE INTERACTIVE GUIDE: $15 Link to Module 7: The Interactive Guide
- – Module 7: Combines knowledge from previous modules and provides an interactive, menu-driven approach to valuing any US coin in 15 minutes
The first of eight Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) from The Coin Course Web Page is inferior to:
1) When does the course start and end? The course starts now and never ends! This is a completely self-paced online course – you decide when you start and finish.